Saturday, September 7, 2024

Let’s Talk: What Do you think about a Progressive Union, instead of a Progressive Party?

Image Source: Pexels.com

 As some of you may know, I really wanted Dr. West to be a contender for the presidency this election cycle. And truthfully watching the process has been painful. Like Bernie, and at one point Jill, I enjoy supporting people with progressive ideas.  But I hate that the energy their campaigns generate always seems to fizzle out when they either lose or become no longer viable as a candidate in their march towards November.

So, this time around I started thinking about what could be done to both capture and sustain the progressive movement regardless of victory or failure of the candidacy. 

I propose that a progressive political union be created.  Though it seems to generally be used to unify small states or entities, I thought it could also be used to unify individuals and organizations/parities who don’t have enough power of their own to make a big difference immediately.  In my opinion, it would be the exact vehicle needed to move ideas and causes forward—across political parties and directly into the purview of the voters. 

So many ideas and issues could be addressed through the political union platform. Members could

create an agenda; list items to discuss; develop plans and procedures to execute discussed items and then focus on which political leaders to sign on to enact those plans. For example, Dr. West and other third-party candidates had a hard time and are having a time getting on state ballots; or being allowed go participate in the primary process.  A political union could address that problem through their members in the various states by requesting changes in legislation or pressuring local leaders to put the issue on ballots to be voted on by the general public.

Think tanks and other institutes do similar things now. But I think doing these things as a union takes it to another level.

I respect Dr. West as a thinker, freedom fighter, historian, and possibly the first President of the political union to speak for those who can’t speak for themselves.  In a political union no one would have to leave their current party or change their political status. But, if they want change, they could affect it by moving as a voting bloc.

Dr. West has a current infrastructure.  He has a Website, YouTube channel with followers (Truth, Justice, Love), and political connections around the nation, that could easily help transform his current aspirations into a real, solid movement and agency for change. 

Now, clearly, I do not know all the legalities involved.  But I’m hoping that he has surrounded himself with the right people that could help make this happen. 

I was on a call/YouTube event where I saw Dr. West recently. I really liked how he was not afraid to speak on issues that other politicians are not addressing. And I like how he also realizes that some of his supporters may not be voting for him at this point in the cycle because of several factors.   I believe he and his VP could be profound change agents.  But personally, and to be honest, at this point I think thought needs to be given to what happens after election day.

As stated earlier, I’m an independent/non affiliate voter.  Considering ballot issues AND the electoral college, I plan to now, vote for VP Harris, and vote for progressives down ballot along with their Democratic allies. Having said that, I’m going to hold them accountable by speaking out with things I don’t agree with-- just as Dr. West voted for Barack Obama, (as did I) —and spoke out against things he did not agree with.  That is what I plan to do this time around as well.

But, I’m hoping Dr. West will hear about this concept through a little birdie or something and make this political union happen. … Oh, Side Note: the union could also be a great platform to talk about jazz, educate members on history, and provide other practical information or offer discounts on goods and services provided by participating companies. πŸ˜‰

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts!