Monday, June 24, 2024

I’m Not a Fan of Self-Driving Cars or Self-Aware Robots

First, I just wanna say I'm a big fan of technology. But, not so much of 'Self-Driving' cars.   As I have said time and time again, I think technology should assist us...not replace us or the things we do.

I admit, it’s kind of intriguing and exciting to think that we could travel down the road while the car drives itself.  But, I believe that kind of technology should have limitations and parameters to insure the overall safety of others.  We already hear about how early attempts of self-driving vehicles are causing some accidents; and honestly with new technology—that should be expected.

But, why can’t we be content with the integration of technological advances with the skills of human drivers?  Some companies have taken that approach with the park assist functions and lane monitoring.  I’m fine with that.  It helps real drivers avoid accidents and keeps everyone safer on the roads.

What I’m not good with is allowing a non-thinking or non- feeling object have total control over itself

without human intervention.  Somehow the element of “care” seems to be left out of the equation.  I like when people can deal with people not some empty car or robot.  I don’t think that’s asking too much.  We should always keep in mind that people are the most important part the ‘human+technology=progress’ equation.   Anything that says otherwise, I’m not interested in hearing.

For those of you who do think otherwise, consider this.  What if something goes quirky with the technology…while you’re chilling in the back seat, with no idea of how to operate the vehicle.  What then?  OR, what if you’re a little shady because "you ain’t really got it like that right now".  You jump in the ride tryna get to the store right quick and end up being driven to the po-po station by your own whip.  Do you really want that to happen?  I’m not saying that it’s true—but I’m saying.  We really have to consider the outcome of progress and how it relates to our well being.

With frequent interruptions occurring because of weather, solar flares and who knows what else--I think more emphasis should be on perfecting technology to assist us, rather than replace us to improve a company's bottom line.

Of course, I look forward to your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts!