Wednesday, April 26, 2023

I was Commenting on LinkedIn About How to Handle Rejection, But I Ran Out of Space



It's hard to 'not' take rejection personal, particularly when you've put time and effort into the job, project or activity that involves others. So I had to make the acknowledgement that my time in that space was over; and that I needed to move on. I had to encourage myself and reinforce the facts that I still had value. Especially when people still call and ask for help or advice, or instructions about how to do something.

I think people have to pay close attention to everything going on around them so that they can pick up on small wins, even when it looks like everything is falling apart. That self-evaluation or internal review really helped me. A few of my Takeaways and suggestions:

  1. Consider a rejection an opportunity to review and reflect. You still have your skills, knowledge, and abilities-- you just need to know how, where, when and with whom to use them.
  2.  From the reading of this post forward (from now on 😉) consider yourself as a business--and you are the CEO, even if you're still an employee. I think it adds perspective and self-worth to any situation you encounter. Because, once you see yourself as CEO of you, you'll only be making boss moves.
  3. From now on, don't be afraid to ask for what you want and know that it's okay to be satisfied with what makes you happy. Lots of money does not make everybody happy.  Yes, it makes a great down payment on it, and I frankly need more of it now… But people also need good health, a good environment to work, friends and family.

Having the courage to look at everything in totality will help you see rejection as a chance to fine tune and regroup to find opportunities that are win-win.  As the saying goes 'everything ain't for everybody'… you just have to find what's right for you.  And find it, you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts!